So I had to look for an alternative plugin that
a) integrates my flickr photos,
b) doesn’t cause the same problems as Falbum and
c) is highly configurable so that it can easily be integrated in a new theme.
It seems like I finally found it:
See it in action on my “Photos” page.
- “Slickr Gallery” for WordPress:
[Question / Troubleshooting]
Damn! I still don’t know how this mod_rewrite stuff works. I set up “Slickr Gallery” to be found at www.saphod.net/photos/. I used to show a page there which still exists so that the link “Photos” still appears in the navigation menu. Well, now look what happens when you forget the trailing slash… the page content appears instead of the gallery!
Does anyone know how I can automatically forward this (wrong) URL to the one with the trailing slash? And how does this whole mod_rewrite stuff work, anyway? Where does “Slickr Gallery” change values so that it can be found under the URL I set up in the options? (Update: use a plugin – see this post!)
[Update from 2007-08-28]
I tried to clear the ‘flickr-cache’ of the plugin within the options panel because I changed some titles of my flickr photos. I got the message “Clearing the cache failed. Manually delete the ‘flickr-cache’ directory.” I tried, but it did not work: the FTP program says “500 Permission denied” on each of the directories in the cache – which I find very weird. In addition to that, clearing the cache seems to have worked, because now the new titles are shown… strange…
I contacted my webhoster about this. Apparently, it seems to be a script running with insufficient file permissions so that only the user “wwwrun” has all rights, but not the FTP user. I took a sneak look into lib.flickr.php to find the spot where the “.cache” files are created, but I am too much a php newbie to know what to change.
I will contact the plugin author…
[Update from 2007-09-12]
What a pity: the plugin author also told me that it has to do with the server and with what rights the script is running – nothing new, here. But nevermind: the plugin is working – I just have to set back the rights on the folder from time to time.
[Update from 2007-09-30]
I have posted this issue on the WordPress support forum.
[Update from 2007-11-25]
I got rid of this plugin because it caused some problems with other plugins installed (see e.g. this post). I do not know the exact reason, but I am tired of always looking for the answer. I replaced my once dynamic photos page with a static one, linking to my Flickr page. That should give some quiet time.